Monday, April 8

The beginning of a new journey

Jeremy and I are starting a new journey in life. This is a journey that took us by surprise and created a whirlwind in our lives. It's a journey with more questions than answers. The days ahead may seem dark and scary, but we know there is sunshine on the other side. Although it is not a journey we would ask for, it is ours and we will embrace it. It is the journey of cancer....more specifically of lymphoma. We know that there is someone greater than ourselves who holds us in His hands and who goes before us. Along this journey, we seek to grow closer to Him and to share with you what we have learned. He also went on a journey...one of torture, ridicule, and ultimately death. However, His story did not end there; He conquered death and came out of the grave victorious three days later. It is because He is alive that we can face the days ahead. Here is the back story of the past 8 weeks.

Eight weeks ago I found a painless, enlarged lymph node on my neck. After consulting with family and friends, I determined that it was hopefully from a cold I had and I would wait four weeks to see if it went away. Four weeks came and went and the node was no smaller. I found a surgeon and made an appointment. During the appointment, I was told that lymphoma was a possibility although at the bottom of the list. We scheduled surgery for 2 weeks later and I went home with an anti-biotic to see if it would work. Of course, it did not so I had that lymph node removed and biopsied.  Surgery went great; and recovery was easy. I could've have asked for a better surgeon; he went above and beyond anything I expected him to do. 

Well...surgery was on a Tuesday and I found out the following Thursday that they were sending my information to Mayo Clinic. The pathologists at Rex said it looked like lymphoma but not a type that is commonly seen in my age so they wanted more tests to be done to determine diagnosis. Apparently, there are certain viruses that looks similar to this lymphoma and they wanted to make sure that was not the case with me. Two long weeks went by before I received my results. This past Thursday I found out I had non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Lots of calls were made and lots of appointments were scheduled. 

Today, I had a consultation with one oncologist along with a PET scan to determine where the cancer is specifically in my body. This, along with blood work and a bone marrow biopsy, will determine the stage of cancer I have and how to treat it. 

Tomorrow, I meet with a second oncologist to get another opinion along with having blood work done. Part of this journey will also be the possibility of infertility caused by the chemo. I will also meet with a doctor tomorrow to discuss my options about this since Jeremy and I desire to have children of our own in the future. I have my bone marrow biopsy scheduled for Thursday, and lots of other tests and procedures are in the works to be scheduled as well. 

I will originally use this blog to update you on what is happening with my lymphoma as well as specific ways you can pray for Jeremy and I. However, this blog will not only be able my lymphoma but things God is teaching us and way we see Him working in our lives. I plan to keep it up as our life changes after I am cured of lymphoma as well. Thank you for choosing to walk this journey with us and pray for us.

Specific Prayer Request: For us to choose the right doctor who will fit well with us and our needs and with the knowledge of how to cure this cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment