While getting my first needle stick during my PET scan, my sister-in-law, Jennifer, asked me a question to help distract me. "What do you think about playing around with your hair and doing some cuts you may normally never do?" I hadn't yet found out how much chemo I may need, but decided to try some new cuts if I needed enough chemo for my hair to fall out.
Hearing that my hair would fall out during my three rounds of chemo left a sinking feeling in my stomach. My sister Hannah will be getting married in August, and I had been growing my hair out to have more options for wedding hairstyles. Not only had I done so much work to make sure my hair would be long enough, now it probably will not grow back in time for the wedding even for a short style. Definitely a disappointment.
After more thinking, I decided to take my sister-in-law's advice and have fun with my hair before it falls out and embrace the change. I may not can help if it falls out or not, but I can help my attitude about it. Jennifer is the one who cuts my hair, so she and I will have fun with it. Now is the time to do some fun, spunky cuts I may would not be brave enough to do normally.
Today, we took three inches off and did a really cute cut right about chin length. We've decided to take it in stages to help me get used to having shorter hair and playing with cuts we may like for while my hair is coming back in. I am actually really excited to try new things and embrace my impending baldness. I'm also nervous but excited to see how my hair will grow back. who knows it may come back curly. When the time comes, my new motto will become "bald is beautiful" and I will rock the wigs. Until then, I will have fun with my hair and we will play with fun cuts.
No comments:
Post a Comment