Saturday, May 18

Round one, week one

The first week is down, eight more to go. There have been many highs and lows, but overall everything has gone well. I appreciate the calls and texts to see how things went this past week as well as all the prayers spoken on our behalf. I am still receiving sweet cards letting Jeremy and I know you are thinking about us, and each one brings a smile to our faces. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I will try to recap some of the main events of this week as an update, and will start with Friday. Friday was my first treatment; I had to be at the hospital bright and early at 8 am and was prepared for an eight hour stay. My sister-in-law graciously agreed to go with me which was a huge blessing. The weeks before chemo it seemed like the weather was nothing but cloudy and rainy. Finally, sun was forecasted for Friday and the room I was in had lots of windows so I could actually enjoy the good weather. We picked a chair towards the back of the room and were able to have our privacy. The first hour consists of  some anti-nausea meds, tylenol and Benadryl as well as IV hydration to prepare my body. After that, I had two different chemo meds that went in my IV through a syrenge that took no more than fifteen minutes total. The next med was through an IV bag that lasted an hour. It gave me some issues with sinus pressure so they slowed it down a little. The final chemo med took three and a half hours. They are more worried about allergic reactions with this one than the others so they have different levels of how fast they allow it to drip. The first hour was very slow so they can keep a close watch. I had a few spots that would get red and itch for a few minutes then went away, but they still were able to do everything as planned. Next time, they will start it at a faster progression  since things went well. Each med attacks cells at a different phase of reproduction and the last one attacks the lymphoma cells specifically. I also take prednisone by mouth the first five days of each round to help the cells accept the chemo. Lymphoma is tricky because it doesn't all show up in scans since its in you blood so we want to make sure to get it all.

Saturday, I felt normal and even went shopping with my mom and sister. However, I was not able to get a good nights sleep which made for a very tired Sunday. I've not really slept well since the port placement and the prednisone did not help. I would lay in bed from 10 to 2 so tired, but my brain would not shut off. This happens normally to me with big events, but this was so much worse. I would have to go to the living room and watch tv to give my mind something to focus on to get to sleep. I was lucky to get four hours of sleep that wasn't really good sleep. That left me feeling weak and tired during the day. Fortunately, I had already been scheduled to work only Wednesday and Thursday. Those days, I was able to pace myself during the day and rest when the kids went down to nap. The family I work for has been super understanding and have helped make this a lot easier. I am very thankful to be working where I am. God had my employment during this time in His plans too. During the week, my low points came when I was most tired and had no energy. Two months of treatment seemed like forever; however, I felt pretty normally and like I could handle it after I was able to get some rest.

Yesterday, I had a follow up appointment. They checked my blood counts and answered any questions I had. My sister was able to go with me to the appointment which was good because I almost passed out again when they were getting my blood. It took a while to get my strength back this time which made me worried about my blood work. However, the PA was very happy with my results and helped to ease some of my worries and over analyzations. Normally, white blood cell counts should stay over a 3; when I started chemo, my levels were a 6; yesterday, they were 1.6. This basically means I have no immune system right now and my body doesn't have a lot in it to fight off infections. However, she expected the number to be lower so she was pleased. I just have to be super diligent about washing my hands and where I go. I may have to turn down hugs for now, but I am not intending to be rude. Also, my red blood cell counts were down which basically effects my energy, but they not too low. Everything else looked like it was still normal. From here, my levels should rise over the next two weeks before I have my second round.  

As for my hair, I've got it cut again and am planning on doing it one more time before it comes out. A few days ago, my skull ached. It felt like I had a ponytail in for say too long. I've been told that is a sign of starting to loose you hair. I will have a blog update with the different hairstyles after the next cut. 

Specific prayer request: That my sleep would continue to get better and I would stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment