Saturday, May 25

It's Gettin' A Bit Hairy

Now that I have my final haircut before the buzz, I will share with you the progression of the hair. I had been growing it out for my sister's wedding so we will start at Easter...right before I found out the results of my biopsy. (March 31)

While getting my PET scan done, my sister-in-law asked me what I thought about going shorter and trying different hairstyles. I decided if I had to have chemo we'd go for it. So, we decided to go shorter in stages. It would allowed me to feel in control of my hair falling out instead of chemo controlling me. It would also let me see how my hair looked at different stages while it was growing out after treatment. (Cut on April 14)

 I was told that approximately two weeks after my first treatment I would start to loose my hair. I wasn't quite ready to go super short, but we decided to go a little shorter to give it one more step before the final cut. I felt pretty well after the treatment so we cut it that day. These pictures are taken the Sunday after treatment, and I wasn't feeling as well which shows in the pictures. It's a little hard to see, but the back was kinda stacked and there was a slight angle toward the front. (Cut on May 10)




A week later, the final cut. I was very nervous about going so short, but when else would I have the guts to do it? If I didn't like it, I would just fall out. I wanted to make sure I had time to wear the cut before it was gone. Here is the final cut. (Cut May 20)



So there you have it. My hair has now started to thin out; I am thankful it's not coming out in chunks yet. I'm not doing as much to it to style it in order to keep as much of it for as long as possible. My head feels like I've kept a ponytail in for way too long or like I laid on something hard to sleep, but they say that stops when it comes out. I'm thinking sometime early next week I will have to go ahead and buzz it and start wearing the wig.

Specific Prayer Request: Earlier this week, I caught a cold. I was doing everything I could to stay well, but somehow still got sick. I do feel much better, but pray that my body is able to fight off the cold and that it will not delay my next treatment which is scheduled for this coming Friday.

4 comments:

  1. praying for you.....l have been where you are now....so l totally understand how you feel....l have been through it twice.....21 yrs apart.....the biggest thing is listen to your body....when you are tired rest.....if you feel like being around people, fine, if not, fine too....l go to church with Jennifer Tart and if you need anything she can tell you how to reach me! May God bless you and give you comfort only he can give!!!

    Jo Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you.... you are having such a wonderful attitude toward this. What a blessing you are and will be to those who are going through this. May the Lord heal you from this cold. He is holding you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany, you are truly beautiful inside and out! I am so proud of your strength and courage through this battle. Praying that you are well and can get your next treatment on Friday. - Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair is SUPER CUTE short -- you should always wear it like that :) And who cares if your hair falls out -- you are beautiful and can certainly rock a wig, or even rock being bald. Not too many people can pull that look off but I'm sure you could. Seriously girl, we are praying for you and love you so much. You are not alone!
    Dori

    ReplyDelete